Illustration & Writing Workshop w/ Lorena Alvarez
March 30, 2019
Mar 30, 12:00PM - 5:00PM
Before the opening reception of Lorena Alvarez' Hicotea Signing / Exhibition, be sure to sign up for Lorena's illustration workshop!
In this five-hour class, Lorena will be doing a live demo, covering character design, storytelling, talking about her illustration process. Students will have a chance to paint along and work in groups.
- Saturday March 30th (1pm - 6pm)
- $100 Admission Fee *includes FREE Hicotea book!
- $90 for WIA Members *includes FREE Hicotea book!
- Seats limited to 25 people only
- Art supplies will be provided
- No advanced drawing skills needed.
- All sales are final.
INTRO: Monsters and Aliens: a collage
- monsters in video games, comics and toys
- visual and conceptual resources to create characters
1:30 - 3:30
SESSION 1 - 2 hours - individual activity:
- Create a monster from microorganisms, fungus, and other forms of life.
- Each participant will receive cards with the image of a living organism and facts about it.
- These organisms don’t have a discernible face, so their qualities can be transformed in many ways.
3:30 - 6:00
SESSION 2 - 2 hours - group activity
- From the results of session 1, participants will write and illustrate a short comic.
- If working in groups, they can combine the characters they previously created, they also can explore different relationships between them.
BOOK SIGNING / Opening Reception (FREE)
- Watercolors - basic colors
- Inks - in basic colors
- Plastic eye dropper
- Synthetic pointed (round) brushes
- Sheets of watercolor paper. 9’’x 12’’
- Palette / plate
- Jars or glasses to clean the brushes and add clean water to the watercolors
- Paper towels
- Clean rag
- Pencils, erasers, sharpeners, etc.
- Sea salt and bleach to bring texture, watercolor pencils.
ABOUT LORENA ALVAREZ:
I'm a freelance illustrator and artist, based in BogotÃ¡, Colombia. I like to work with color and experiment with diverse techniques, so I like to approach to each project in a unique way, trying to learn something new every day. I've made illustrations for children books, independent publications, advertising and fashion magazines. I work at my home studio, surrounded by music and my loved ones.
Recently I've been working in personal projects including character design, paintings, T- shirts and Toys. Also I'm proud to be part of La Procesin Puppet Club, an experimental puppetry group, I'm a shy person but being a puppeteer has been a great experience. I love to paint, take care of my dog and read comic books. Now I'm learning to play guitar, it is hard but it makes me happy.